Saturday 10 December 2011


FEATURED ARTIST INTERVIEW : 
YAW RESIDENT, ASHLEY WILD of PLAYSET (HOT WAVES) 



First and foremost, congratulations on the recent release of your first single 'Riding in the Red' . How have you found the response to the track? Thanks, yeah the response has been amazing!  Over summer it picked up some great support from the guys at Hot Natured who I’m really to thank for getting it out there. When I heard that the crowd did a sit down in DC10 to it I really started to think that the track was special. Since the summer I’ve had some fantastic feedback and love from people across the globe, especially in the US and South America! Very humbling to receive some kind words, it seemed to have made a few people happy and I guess that was the idea.
For those who aren't familiar with you, please describe your DJ/production sound. If I was to broadly describe a sound I guess I’d say house but a mix of deeper, bass heavy, analogue sounds.  There is certainly a darker tone to much of the house I play, my production is a little varied ; I skirt along the lines of deep house and techno, but always with a groove to it. Riding in the Red is definitely my lighter side. 
You've said that you were brought up in a musical family - in particular you were exposed to folk and roots from a young  age, and that your own roots lie in deep house and techno.  Would you say that your production style has been  influenced by one genre in particular? I wouldn’t say one particular genre has been a primary influence but I was fortunate to grow up surrounded by musicians and the muddy fields of festivals from an early age. I guess I have always tried to listen to music without prejudice and over the years have taken inspiration from the most surprising of corners. I guess disco has been a particular genre and the story telling and of folk music too.  But Daft Punk, Kraftwork and Massive Attack were also a big influence on me over the last 10-15 years as I discovered and fell in love with dance music. ‘Last Rhythm’ by Last Rhythm was the one that got me though!

What can we expect from you in 2012? Have you got any plans for an album? I’m really excited for 2012!  I have been working on a few new projects and collaborations of late and am looking forward to getting them out there. The production will focus still  on a deep house sound but I also will be broadening my horizons with some down-tempo, more roots influenced projects. As for an album, not just yet.  Also I Produce with my good friend Tom Roberts under the alias of ‘Playset’ and we have some bits coming up that I’m really buzzing about.  I’ve still got some learning to do with some parts of the production process so this will continue on , I guess this never stops?  Also as a promoter of You Are We I’m looking forward to taking the party further next year with more bookings and some overseas events.   I guess I better move quick though as its all gonna end next year isn’t it?
Of all the sets you've played over the years, which has been your favourite to date and why? Also, is there anywhere in particular that you would like to play in future? I’ve been fortunate to play some great gigs over the last few years but particular highlights include Space in Ibiza, a wicked afternoon at Folie Douche, Val d’Isere,  where I played to a crazy crowd of skiiers and boarders with the most amazing views and vibe, and all 3 parties at Burning Man this year including a mad Art Car experience with good mates the WildKats! Still though the parties over the last few years at You Are We as Playset and the Cross (may she rest in peace) summer morning sessions remain special times for me.  Oh and also playing my productions out for the first time at Glastonbury this year was particularly poignant as it’s held a place in my heart for many a year. If there was one place in particular I’d love to play it has to be DC10.  
Finally, you've been given the chance to collaborate with one person  of your choice (dead or alive).  Who have you chosen, and why? Michael Jackson. Why? The dude had a fairground in his garden…
You Are We Contributor : Lil Mitchell 



No comments:

Post a Comment