Saturday 10 December 2011

FEATURED ARTIST INTERVIEW & EXCLUSIVE YAW MIX



MAX CHAPMAN (HOT WAVES / LOWER EAST)

Can you tell us a quick bit about where you’ve come from and where you are right now?
I went travelling around south east Asia and Australia in April 2010, a few days prior to my trip, I
installed some basic production software onto my laptop to tackle while i was away, I’d always
wanted to make music and thought this would be the perfect time to practice.
I travelled for a year using youtube to teach my self all the tricks of the trade, It took hundreds
of hours of practice to understand and use the software before I could even create a complete
track, let alone a good one! Luckily my passion for music has driven me to where i am today
along with the help of many awesome people along the way. I am now playing fantastic parties
all over the UK and beyond, I even have the pleasure of touring the US and Mexico Feb/March
2012 with a short stop in South America afterwards thanks to the Krankbrother's who recently
signed me to there agency. I am now signed to labels such as Lower East, Hot Waves, Kaluki
Musik and many more...

This week see’s the release of Lower East’s Inner Circles vol. 1 EP that features your track
‘Afterparty’. We assume you’re quite partial to one - can you tell us about any recent after party
antics?
'Afterparty' was created in Sydney, Australia, funnily enough after a party...
I was on the Agwa boat party in Sydney in November and Art Department were playing - It was
an amazing party and they completely won me over. That party gave me so many ideas for this
track. I wanted it to be really effective ; a track that you remembered, the kind of track that would
remind you of the time and place that you heard it. As for after party antics they are probably best
kept secret!!

You also had a very exciting release on Hot Waves a couple of weeks ago ‘No Games!’ where
you collaborated with Julien Sandre – Have you got more releases lined up? If so when and
where can we be expecting them?
Yeah julien approached me before i even had any tracks out.. he liked my sound and wanted to do
something together, Julien is no spring chicken when it comes to making music so i jumped at the
opportunity and we began arranging drums, little loops and elements that we thought would be
effective, then we bounced them to each and built our own versions of the track, then met in the
middle after deciding what we liked and didn't like about each others tracks, creating 'No Games!'
We’re aware that remixing/collaborating is your favourite way to produce, why do you prefer it?
I love the idea of taking the parts of someone else's track and arranging them in a way that you
would do them yourself, a completely different track, but with all the original elements, theres no
right or wrong way to make music and every artist has a unique way of expressing that. i've just
received a remix from Miguel Puente, and another from Sishi Rosch for my new EP on Anhura Vinyl
which is available 2012, i am really excited about this... it's an amazing feeling when the artists that
you love re-arrange your track to suit their style and these guys have done it in a superb fashion!
collaborating is also great because you inspire each other and usually get more done, 2 brains are
always better than one!

Are there any upcoming Max Chapman remixes we should be listening out for?
Yes there are a few! I’ve remixed a track by James Pople, called 'Keep It Up' on Lower East's Inner
Circles EP which could well be released shortly.... http://soundcloud.com/max-chapman/jamespople-
keep-it-up-max. I'm also remixing a track for Rebel which will appear on his EP on Lower
East In February 2012 and there's plenty more in the pipeine...

What remixes are you loving at the moment?
I’m loving Louie Fresco's 'Black', 'White' and '3rd Strike' remix's, 3 completely different takes on 'To
Be' which was a calibration from Tboy and the Wildkats, all with Fresco's obvious stamp.

What was the last record you bought?
Ashley Wild - Riding In The Red ;)
And finally, what can people expect from your You Are We set?
Well i'm expecting the usual from you guys.... a great party! And it goes without saying that I will
play to the the best of my ability, thoroughly and showcase some of the best music on the scene
today!

Contributor : Rudi Morgan, You Are We 

No comments:

Post a Comment